University of Canberra Vice-Chancellor’s International Poetry Prize
University of Canberra is seeking poetry entries below 50 lines for the University of Canberra Vice-Chancellor’s International Poetry Prize-2017.
- The winner will receive AUD$15,000
- The runner-up (second-placed poem) will receive AUD$5,000
- Four additional poems will be short-listed
- Entry fee is AUD$20
Here is what they say in their website:
Who can enter
- Entries may be submitted from any place in the world and you don’t have to be a previously published poet to enter.
- All entrants must be 18 years of age or over when they enter the Prize.
- Entries may not be submitted on someone else’s behalf.
- The following persons are not eligible to enter the competition or assist any eligible person to enter – judges; the competition Administrators; University of Canberra academics, general staff or other University of Canberra employees, or immediate family members of these people.
How to enter
- All entries must be submitted online through the VC Poetry Prize website. No other form of entry is permitted.
- The text documents containing poems entered for the prize MUST NOT include the author’s name anywhere in the text of the entry or anywhere else in the document, such as in headers, footers or in any other place. The text document of any entry that includes the author’s name will be disqualified.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries that are not received for whatever reason.
- Confirmation of receipt of all Prize entries will be sent by email only to those who provide a valid email address. No other correspondence about the receipt of entries will be entered into.
Entry specifications and rules
- An entry fee of:
AUD$15 per poem if submitted before 28 February 2017 and;
AUD$20 per poem if submitted between 1 March and 30 June 2017.
- Tertiary (university) students may enter at AUD$10 per poem throughout the eligible period with the condition that the student number and name of the institution are included in registration. If it is determined that an entrant has not paid the correct fee for an entry, then that entry will be disqualified from the Prize.
- It is not possible to complete the entry process without making payment via the Prize registration website (Visa/Mastercard Credit/Debit cards only) for your entry or entries. No other payment method will be accepted.
- Entries must be submitted as either an MS Word file (.doc or .docx), Rich Text Format (.rtf) or as a PDF (.pdf). Other computer file formats will not be accepted.
- Entries that are uploaded to the Prize website must be in a clear, legible font
- Poems should be set out and spaced so that they are easy to read. If the judges determine that an entry does not meet these requirements, that entry will not be considered further.
- All poems entered for the Prize must be single poems with a maximum length of 50 lines (not including the poem’s title, any short epigraph, blank lines, numbered sections, etc.) and be no more than 1,000 words in total.
- Entries must be poems on any subject. Entries must be written primarily in English (only a few words in another language or languages are permitted). Translations will not be eligible for the Prize.
- Entries must be original works by an individual author (not a company or other collective entity).
- Entries must be unpublished works that have not been previously broadcast publicly, in whole or part (either in print, online or in any other format, including radio broadcast, personal blogs, you-tube and social media).
- Entries must not be created (i.e. authored) by a computer program.
- Entrants must retain copies of the poems that are entered. Once entered, the text of a poem cannot be retrieved or altered.
- Entrants warrant that: (i) they have personally created their entry and own all rights to it; (ii) all related intellectual property belongs to the entrant; and (iii) the entry does not violate any laws of any country or infringe upon another party’s trademark or copyright. Entrants indemnify the Prize and its Administrators against any loss or damages resulting from a breach of this warranty.
- Simultaneous submissions will not be permitted (i.e. submissions to other prizes and/or publications at any time during the period that entries are being considered). A poem will be ineligible if it is under contract to any publisher or broadcaster.
- No changes will be permitted once an entry has been submitted.
- Poems not selected for the major prizes or shortlist, or selected for publication in the Longlist Anthology in one year may be submitted again in a subsequent year provided that the poem meets all of the Prize terms and conditions in the year that it is submitted.
- All authors must provide their own name for record keeping purposes. If you wish to have your poem published under a pseudonym, this may be included as part of your details on the entry form.
- Every Prize entrant is fully responsible for the consequences that arise from providing false or misleading information. Any poem that is submitted under a false name, or is accompanied by false information, will be automatically disqualified from the Prize.
Number of entries permitted
- Poets may submit up to six (6); of their works for the Prize in any one year.
To enter and read more about the contest, please visit: http://www.canberra.edu.au/about-uc/competitions-and-awards/vcpoetryprize