The Ross and Davis Mitchell Prize
for Faith and Writing
Faith Canada150.ca is calling for poetry and short-story submissions for the Ross and Davis Mitchell Prize. The contest theme is faith and writing. The prize is CAD$25,000.
Eligibility: Canadian or currently residing in Canada.
Entry Deadline: June 30th 2017
As to the prize and rules for submissions, here is what their website says:
- There will be $25,000 CD of Prize money awarded.
- 1st place for short story: $10,000
- 1st place for suite of poems: $10,000
- 2nd place for short story: $2,500
- 2nd place for suite of poems: $2,500
- Also: All the shortlisted nominees will have their work published in an anthology to be published in 2018.
- A Prize Gala will be held in the Fall of 2017 to honour the shortlisted authors and Prize recipients.
All submissions must adhere to the following guidelines in order to be considered.
- Submissions for the poetry prize must come in the form of a suite of poems connected to the prize theme (see “Purpose of Prize”) ranging between 300 and 500 lines. (NB: Poetry prizes are for the entire suite, NOT the best poem within the suite.)
- Submissions for the short story prize must be connected to the prize theme (see “Purpose of Prize”) and be within the 6,000-word limit.
- All submissions must be fiction, but can be based loosely on reality without depicting real people, events, etc.
- Writers do not have to have been previously published.
- All submissions must be original, previously unpublished work. (NB: “published” work refers to anything found in a print or online publication, which includes magazines, newspapers, collections, chapbooks, or blogs. Exception will be made for personal blogs.)
- Writers retain ownership of all submitted material, but there may be no simultaneous submissions (submissions for this prize may not be submitted as entries for other publications or prizes during this time).
- All entries must be submitted in English.
- All entrants must be Canadian citizens or currently reside in Canada.
- Entrants must have their material submitted by midnight of June 30, 2017.No late entries will be accepted.
- There is a $10 flat rate for submissions to either category that must be paid upon submission.
For further details, please visit their website: http://www.faithincanada150.ca/initiatives/mitchell-prize