The Bath Short Story Award
The fifth year of the International Bath Short Story Award is now open and closes for entries on Monday May 1st, 2017, midnight BST. Fee per entry is £8.
Prizes £1400 prize fund:
£1000 first prize, £200 second prize, £100 third prize, £50 for the local prize in vouchers –donated by Mr B’s Emporium of Books, Bath. £50 for the Acorn Award for an unpublished writer.
The Bath Short Story Award website describes:
Entries are welcome from around the globe for any writer aged sixteen years and over. Check our rules page for more information.
Payment is via paypal or as a paypal guest with any card.
Word limit is 2200 words. (no lower word limit).
Winning and shortlisted stories will be published in our yearly anthology.
- Stories can be on any theme or subject but must be original and written in English. They must also be for adult or young adult readers. Non-fiction and fiction written for children under 13 years is not eligible. Entrants must be 16 years or over.
- Maximum length is 2,200 words. Entries should be typed, double or 1.5 spaced, in a plain legible font (Pt 12). Each page should be numbered but carry no personal details about the author. Online entries are sent as email attachments. The file name must be the title of your story. (If your story is untitled, the file name must be the first five words of the story). Postal entries should be on A4, single-sided and paper-clipped together.
- Closing date for receipt of entries is Monday, May 1st 2017 at Midnight BST
- Entries can be made online or by page and are open to everyone (locally/nationally or internationally). There is no limit to the number of entries but there is a fee of £8 for each story submitted. Stories submitted online must be paid for via PayPal on the entry page.
- Postal entries are payable by cheque or postal order and should be addressed to Bath Short Story Award, 20 Penn Lea Road, Bath, BA1 3RA, UK. Please ensure that postal entries have the correct postage. We are not liable for any that fail to arrive. Please do not send by Special Delivery, Recorded/Registered Mail – we may not be around to sign for it.
- Entries must not have been previously published in print or online, been broadcast or won a prize. Published online includes publication on your personal blog.
- Entries will be read and judged anonymously so do not put your name on the pages of your story. For postal entries contact details should be written on a separate sheet of paper.
- Once you have submitted your story and paid for your entry, no refunds can be made.
- Entries will not be returned so please keep a copy. No corrections or alterations can be made after entries have been received. If you require acknowledgement of receipt of your postal entry, please enclose a stamped addressed postcard marked ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. Online entries are not acknowledged but you will receive a PayPal receipt.
- Prizes for 2016 are, as follows: 1st £1000; 2nd £200; 3rd £100, with a local prize of £50, for the best entry from any BA, BS, GL or SN postcode unplaced in the main competition. In addition there is The Acorn Award of £50 for the best entry from an unpublished writer, unplaced in the main competition. For the purposes of the Acorn Award by ‘unpublished’, we mean no fiction of yours has been published in print in any language, online or on an audio file. Self- published blogs count as unpublished. NB : Stories by you, posted on your site, cannot be entered into the competition as this will break our anonymity rule (7.)
- The results of the competition will be announced on the Bath Short Story Award (BSSA) website.
- No single story may win more than one prize. By entering, competitors accept that prizewinning and shortlisted stories, with the authors’ names, may be published on the BSSA website, in any BSSA anthology, in local media and/or be read out on local radio stations for up to a year from the closing date without extra remuneration.
- Simultaneous submission is permitted. Should your fiction win a prize or be published elsewhere, please let us know so we can remove it from the current award.
- By entering, an acceptance of all the BSSA rules and terms and conditions is implied. Entries that fail to comply with rules and terms and conditions will be disqualified. No correspondence can be entered into and the judges’ decisions are final.
To enter the contest and find more details, you can visit their website: